Vrindavan, 2016.04.12 (VT): Thousands of devotees visit Shri Shri Radha Shyam Sundar Temple, situated in Seva Kunj area of Shridham Vrindavan, to have darshan of Shri Shyam Sundar Ji (Lala Ji) manifested by Shrimati Radha Rani Ji from her lotus heart on the Vasant Panchami Day of 1578 A.D. and self-manifested deity of Shrimati Radha Rani Ji, found in 1580 among the invaluable gems of the Royal Treasury of the then Bharatpur state. Both these deities are worshiped in the Shyamasundar temple.
A short distance from the Sri Sri Radha-Shyamsundar Temple, just before one arrives at the Sri Sri Radha-Damodara Temple, is a little known spot that is nevertheless of great importance historically to the Vaishnavas following Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
Marked with a small altar of marble is the very place where Shyamananda Prabhu discovered the anklet or nupur of Srimati Radharani. It is in the same area as the samadhi temple of Sri Shyamananda Prabhu. Until about five years ago, several bhajan kutirs surrounded the temple and renounced Vaishnavas stayed here to do their bhajan.
In 2012, Krishna Gopalananda Deva Goswami saw that the babajis living there were not taking advantage of the sacred location to do bhajan. This is when he received the inspiration through Radha Shyamsundar Jiu to build a proper temple for Shyamananda Prabhu.
This supremely sacred spot is very important and is venerated by the Vaishnavas for the following reasons:
- It is a site of the eternal Rasa-lila of Sri Sri Radha-Shyamsundar.
- It is here that Sri Shyamananda Prabhu had darshan of the Rasa-lila while meditating on Sri Sri Radha-Shyamsundar’s pastimes.
- It is here that Sri Shyamananda Prabhu found Srimati Radharani’s “Manjughosha” anklet
- This is the place where Sri Lalita Sakhi marked Sri Shyamananda Prabhu’s forehead with the “Shyama-mohana” tilaka.
- It is here that Sri Lalita Sakhi gave Sri Duhkhi Krishna Dasa the name “Shyamananda.”
- It is here that Sri Vishakha Sakhi gave him the name “Kanaka Manjari.”
- It is here that Sri Lalita Sakhi gave him the fifteen-syllable Sri Radha-mantra.
- It is here that Srimati Radharani manifested the Deity of Sri Shyamsundar from Her lotus heart and gave Him to Sri Shyamananda Prabhu.
- It is here that Srimati Radharani revealed the divine glories of Sri Shyamsundar from Her own lotus mouth
- .This is the place of Sri Shyamananda Prabhu’s samadhi temple, which was built after he disappeared in Nrisimhapur, Odisha, in 1630 AD. His body was cremated in Orissa and his ashes placed in two samadhi shrines, one in Sri Nrisimhapur and the other in Sri Vrindavan, next to the altar marking the place where he found the anklet.
- It is here that many sadhus practised bhajan and thus attained perfection.
At this sacred spot on the Vasanta Panchami of 1578 AD, when Sri Shyamananda Prabhu was cleansing the Sevakunj, he found Srimati Radharani’s left foot’s divine anklet, which is made of gold encrusted with sapphires and is named “Manjughosha.” Since then, a marble altar marks this place.
Some people say that Sri Shyamananda Prabhu found the anklet at Jharu Mandala, a claim that is totally baseless and only has the purpose of deceiving innocent pilgrims to get some money from them.
On the 28th January of 2012, the appearance day of Sri Shyamsundar, construction of a temple on the original place where the anklet was found was begun with a budget of 5 crore rupees ($US 800,000).
Shri Krishna Gopalananda Deva Goswami the cooperation of all sincere devotees to accomplish this grand undertaking which will mark the spot of a great event in the sacred life of Vrindavan. The temple will also enhance and enrich a part of town that is in need of development.
At present only a small platform made of marble marks the spot where Shrila Shyamanand Prabhu found the ankle bells from Shrimati Radha Rani Ji’s left foot. Protection of this monument is a must.
Mahant Sri Krishna Gopala Deva Goswami says, “We are convinced that Sri Sri Radha Shyamasundar and our disciplic succession wnat for us to construct a magnificent temple at this place to give permanent protection to this spot. The cost of construction will come to around Rs.5 Crores (US $1,000,000). We are seeking the full cooperation of all devotees and lovers of Vrindavan to build this magnificent temple. Construction of the temple was started in March 2012 on the appearance day of Shri Shri Shyamsundarji. Everyone who gives their full cooperation to the construction of this temple will get the blessings of Shri Radha Shyam Sundarji.”.